Monday, December 6, 2010

Need to update the blog more

It's been a busy month and I haven't done a great job keeping up with the blog. My training is coming along reasonably well, but I really haven't gotten my mileage up as high as I really should. I've been doing about 60 miles a week, but with a soon to be 3 month old, it's been harder to take the time to get the additional miles in. My long runs and hard workouts have been going fairly well so that has been encouraging. I ran 18 miles on Saturday and averaged 7:00 pace. It was a pretty miserable run the first 7 or 8 miles and I was struggling some just to stay with the group, but from about mile 9 on I finally woke up or started feeling better and had a good finish to the run. Suzanne commented to me this morning that after my long runs I didn't seem as useless all day or complain as much about my legs being in pain as I have in years past. I do feel like they are stronger/healthier which is a good feeling going into the last 8 weeks until the marathon.

I was exhausted from a long weekend so I didn't try to get up to run hills this morning and did a speed workout at lunch instead. I ran a 5 x 1 mile workout with an easy 1/4 mile jog between which worked out to a little over 2 minutes recovery after each one. I didn't really know how fast I would run them, but I went into the workout with a goal of being sub 5:40 on the first and then between 5:30 - 5:35 for the rest. The weather was cool and felt good for a workout. After a 2 mile warmup, strides, drills and some stretching I started the workout. My splits were 5:34, 5:29, 5:25, 5:25, 5:22. It was tough, but a good workout and I got about 9 miles total in on the day.

I'd like to find a good race sometime in the next 5 weeks for a tune up before the marathon. I had wanted to run the Dallas/White Rock 1/2 marathon this past weekend but had a conflict come up and I couldn't make it. Life with our daughter has been lots of fun and she's been a happy and easy baby. Here are a few pictures of her. Suzanne won't let me post any pictures of her diaper explosions, but her are a few nice ones of her.











3 comments:

  1. Great to see you out this Saturday. Even though you said you weren't feeling good, you were running well, and glad to know the day turned out to be a good running day.

    Great pics! Keep up the father/husband/runner combination. Seems to be working for you well so far. :) See ya on the roads!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just stumbled onto your blog and had to comment on how ADORABLE your daughter is. That last picture made me gasp!

    Good luck with the training!

    ReplyDelete
  3. cute baby

    Hey whats going on, this is a cool blog you are working on, ive been working on mine for a while to, feel free to check it out, along with that im developing a new site for us bloggers, kind of trying to drive the number of page visits up. feel free to add me as a friend or follow me on my blog :)

    Here's my site:
    http://bnetwrk.weebly.com/

    and my blogger account :
    http://dl-daybyday.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete