Saturday, January 24, 2009

First post marathon run

I finally made it out for my first post-marathon run.  After the marathon I didn't have any injuries but my legs were pretty sore the first couple days after the race, especially my quads.  On Monday and Tuesday I was shuffling up and down the stairs like an old man.

I planned on going out and doing about 8 miles at 7:00 -7:15 pace if my legs felt ok.  It was about 52 degrees out and a bit breezy.  Since it was the first run since the marathon and I was running at the park, I had to wear my marathon finisher's shirt today.  It was a little chilly so I was running at a fairly brisk pace the first mile trying to warm up.  My legs still felt a little sore from the race, but nothing too uncomfortable.  I settled into a pretty steady pace of just under 7:00/mile and I was content to knock out the run at that pace.  About 3 miles in, I passed a guy who picked up the pace to stay with me.  We were about 1/2 a mile from the start/finish area near the tennis center and I figured the guy was just kicking it in.  After he stayed with me for a while he asked me what pace I was running and I told him I was doing 6:55 or 7:00.  Usually I turn around at the tennis center and do a lap in the opposite direction but the guy I was with said he had another mile to go so I decided just to keep running with him since it took a little monotony out of the run.  Somehow in his last mile, we managed to pick up the pace from 6:57 to 6:41.  He peeled off at his car and I had about 3 miles to go.  I hate slowing down and I was feeling pretty fresh so I just kept up the same pace and ran the rest of the run at about 6:35 pace.  I finished the 8 miles in 54:20 which works out to about 6:47 pace.  I was a little sore and tired at the end of the run but I was happy to get out there and knock out a good run.

I plan to keep it fairly easy this coming week and not do any speedwork.  I might run the Rockets 5k next Saturday if I feel ok this week.  Then it's on to getting my mileage back up and getting ready for the Boston Marathon

No comments:

Post a Comment