Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Wednesday Speed Workout- 6 x 800

I took Tuesday off. I had been at a conference for work all day and I planned on skipping the dinner and running easy in the evening, but when I started to leave I realized that it was raining pretty hard so I skipped the easy day.

Wednesday I did a 6 x 800 workout with 3 minutes recovery between each one. I did a 3.25 mile warmup with some drills and strides. My goal was to average about 2:28 for each 800. I ran at Memorial Park at about 5:00 pm and it was quite crowded. My 800 splits were 2:32, 2:30, 2:29, 2:30, 2:30, 2:30. I was pretty consistent and reasonably happy with my splits. It was a little slower, but the traction on the dirt path isn't as good as if I were running on a track and I was having to avoid other people out running. It was also the first real speed work that I had done in a while. My legs were pretty tired after the workout. I felt like I was limited more by my legs not being used to turning over that fast than being aerobically limited. My legs were a little sore after the workout - not injury sore, but working muscles more than they had been used to in a while sore. I did a 3.25 mile cooldown and saw my friend Benson and he joined me for about 1-1/2 miles of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment