Monday, May 11, 2009

Monday - Kenyan Way Speedwork - 9 miles

Another fun day of lovely Houston summer weather. I checked the weather at 5:30 this morning and it was 78 degrees out. I forgot to look at the humidity, but it was way up there too. I did remember to put on mosquito repellent which made a big difference today. I did a 3 mile warmup and then a few drills and strides before starting the workout. We did 20 minutes of a 3 speed fartlek with easy, medium and hard efforts based on the color of cone we were running by around the loop. This course was tougher than the last time we did the workout because it incorporated a few hills into it instead of being flat like the last time. I ran the workout with Andrew and Mike this morning and it was a tough workout. I was glad to have a couple of people pushing me because there were a couple times where it would have been easy to relax and ease up a little bit if I didn't have people pushing me. I felt really strong today, especially on the uphills. After the workout I did a 3 mile cooldown back to the house. I think I wrung about half a glass of water out of my socks when I finished. I always hate cooling down and having to listen to my shoes go "squish, squish, squish" every step I take. As miserable as the weather was this morning, I can't imagine doing that workout tonight when the temperature is inthe upper 80's or low 90's. I didn't have my Garmin, but I think I probably did about 9 miles total, maybe just a little bit more. Wednesday we are doing a 2 mile time trial. I had been planning on trying to go for as close to 10:00 as possible, but if the weather is as bad as today, I don't think I'll be able to hit that time.

No comments:

Post a Comment