Thursday, May 7, 2009

Running updates for the past couple of days

Tuesday and Thursday I played ultimate frisbee at lunch in lieu of my easy runs. I do about a mile warmup jog over to where we play, play frisbee for about 40 minutes and then jog back to the office. I figure I get the equivalent of about 5 - 6 miles of running in for the day. Next week I'll get back to doing regular runs on my easy days.


Wednesday - 6 mile progressive run, 7.5 miles total - Note to self - don't skip morning workout and then run workout in 90+ heat index. I was lazy and decided I could use and extra hour of sleep and missed the Kenyan Way morning workout, but I figured I'd just do the workout at lunch. My goal was to do a 7 mile progressive run with a 1.25 mile cooldown. My goal times were 7:00, 6:40, 6:20, 6:00, 5:45, 5:30, 5:15. It was a hot day out there - 86 degrees and the heat index was 92.

My actual splits were 7:05, 6:40, 6:13, 5:58, 5:41, 5:28, 1.5 mile cooldown. I probably should have backed off some because of the heat. I could tell running mile 4 near 6:00 pace was a lot harder than running a lot of tempo runs about that pace. About halfway through mile 6, I knew it would be my last mile. I felt like I was pushing almost all out to hit the 5:30 pace and I knew that I couldn't keep that same pace for another mile, much less pick it up at all for the last one so I just ran the last 1/2 of the mile hard and stopped at 6 miles. I was pretty much on pace for all my miles up to that point, but it was just too hot to go further. I was fairly happy overall with the workout that I hit my goal times in the heat. I would have liked to have been able to finish with a mile closer to my 5k pace than my 10k pace, but that wasn't possible for me in this weather. I figure that the warm weather probably affected me by 10 seconds/mile or so. Afterwards I did a nice slow 1.5 mile cooldown jog back to the office.

No comments:

Post a Comment