Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Progressive Run

I met up with Sean, Luis and Bill at the park this morning for a progressive run. They were going to run 7:00, 6:45, 6:30, 6:15, 6:00, 5:45, 5:30, 5:15, 5:00 and I was going to hang as long as possible. I thought I would be able to stay on pace through 5:30 and then see what happened on the 5:15 mile. It was 77 degrees and 90% humidity when we started. I had run an easy warm up mile to get going before we met up with the group. I felt pretty good the first 5 miles, but I started struggling in the 5:45 mile. I didn't drop off pace, but I was really struggling and I knew I wouldn't be able to hang on the 5:30 mile which I thought I should have been able to do. Sean had told me that before I dropped out I needed to come up to the front and lead for 1 minute. I pulled up to the front near the end of the 5:45 mile and ran about .1 miles into the 5:30 mile before dropping out. My actual splits were 6:56, 6:42, 6:30, 6:14, 5:59, 5:40.

It was a tough workout, but I feel like I should have been able to hold on longer. I've done tempo runs where I get down into the low 5:40's for several miles so I felt like I should have been able to do better than a 5:40 finishing mile. I know the weather conditions were bad, but I was kind of embarassed at how early I dropped out because I was sure I had at least another mile in me before we started. I wonder if I'm running too hard on my easy days. I'm running ~7:00 pace on a lot of runs, but in 90+ weather that is a much harder effort than doing it in 70 degree weather. I don't have any trouble acclimating to the hot weather when I am just cranking out mileage and I can maintain a pretty decent pace without falling apart, but the heat and humidity has just been kicking my butt on the hard workouts and races. I'm not sure what I need to do to acclimate better to running hard in bad weather but it seems like I am tanking a lot worse than a lot of the other guys in the heat.

1 comment:

  1. Geoff, sorry i didnt stop to talk but my mind was on that water fountain! shortly after that i saw Sean...who i thought was alone, then there as Bill, somewhat behind...then further down was Luis, who was no longer running at all. rough stuff out there yesterday morning. I was in the middle of my 'brick' workout and thought i was going to die myself but somehow made it through.

    at least you got out there and put the pedal to the pavement for as long as you could. take pride in that my friend! see you on saturday i hope!

    June

    ReplyDelete