Monday, June 8, 2009

Recovery Week off

I think I have Plantar Fasciitis in my left foot and my left achilles has been kind of tight lately and I think they are probably related.  I had a really busy work schedule the past week and was traveling and had very limited opportunities to get my running in so I decided to take a week off to see if there was any improvement.  The pain really doesn't bother me much while I am running after the first 5 - 10 minutes.  I'm not sure if training through it will be making it worse or not, but it doesn't really seem to be getting worse as far as I can tell.  Unfortunately the week off didn't really seem to make much difference.  My achilles and foot were still tight/sore the first mile or so, but the discomfort seemed to fade away once I got warmed up.

On an unrelated note, I can't stand the airport security at O'Hare airport in Chicago.  It's almost like they try to pick the people with the least common sense to run things there.  I checked in for my flight today and headed over to the security checkpoint.  We get there and they are roping it off and they tell us it is closed and we need to walk over to the other security checkpoint.  I guess the middle of lunch hour is the best time to shut down a security checkpoint in a busy airport to make sure all the TSA employees are properly fed so they don't make a mistake because they are too hungry.  We walk for a couple of minutes over to the next checkpoint and the lines are so long they are almost backed out the airport doors.  To make a long story short, I didn't check a bag that we normally would have in order to save some time so we could grab a quick bite to eat before we got on the plane.  I had my carry on bag, a camera bag and my laptop bag so technically I was carrying too many bags.  I've done this several times before and nobody has said anything about it and I could always stick one of the bags into my suitcase if they made a stink about it.  So as the long line is going nowhere, an airport security employee (non-TSA) comes up and tells me I have too many bags.  I told her that I could stick one in my bag, but I would do it after I went through the security checkpoint since they have to x-ray the laptops separately and I've been told in some places that they want to x-ray the camera equipment separately too.  That wasn't acceptable to her and she was going to kick me out of line if I didn't stuff a bag into my suitcase now and she told me I could take it out when I got to the x-ray scanner.  Seriously, why does she have to make a big deal about it.  Then as the line is crawling along and my dreams of a lunch are starting to fade away, they let two families with small children bypass the entire line and they put them in right in front of us.  Since when does traveling with small kids let you bypass the whole security line?  Then the TSA guy checking to make sure that your ID matches your boarding pass spends literally 3 minutes chatting with the little kids and the family while about 18 people go through in the other line.  Finally we clear security and we have to walk back past the first checkpoint we tried to go through to get to our gate and as we walk by we see that it is up and running with people breezing through it.  Go figure.

No comments:

Post a Comment