Monday, August 10, 2009

Kenyan Way Hills - 8 miles total

Monday morning I hit the Kenyan way hills and did 13 200 meter hills on one of the Waugh/Memorial cloverleafs. After a 3 mile warmup and drills and strides we headed across Memorial to the hill we were running on. Before the workout Sean was telling us not to kill ourselves on the hills and run them too fast. He said the first time he ran them he was averaging 33 seconds per hill and was just about staggering down the steep hill back to the start and the next time he ran them at 35 seconds/hill and could handle it much better. I had run this course once with Sean - actually running on the course at the same time that Sean was running it is probably a more accurate description - and ran all my hills between 37 and 39 seconds and I was just dead on the recovery portion and I probably took 50 seconds to 1 minute recovery before starting the next hill last time. I made it through 11 hills last time.

This time I started out slow to ease into it since I had run on Sunday evening less than 12 hours before the workout. I made it through 13 hills in a little under 19 minutes. I ended up starting behind a few guys that I passed on the first hill and I was running way on the outside so the first one took 44 seconds which I knew was a little too slow, but I'd rather go easy and get faster instead of start fast and then die. I felt good during the workout and gradually picked up the pace. My 2nd hill was 42 seconds, the 3rd and 4th were 41 seconds and the 5th was 40 seconds. By the 7th hill I was at 39 and I stayed right around 39 until the last two where I dropped it down to 37 seconds. My recovery times started at 45 seconds and actually dropped to about 40 seconds midway through the workout as I was jogging down the bottom part of the hill and feeling pretty good. After the workout I did a 3 mile cooldown back to the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment