Monday, August 17, 2009

Monday hillwork

Today's workout was one of the toughest hill workouts we'd done in quite a while, but I think I had a really good workout. After a 2.5 mile warmup and drills and strides we started our hill circuit. The workout was 30 minutes of hills on all 4 cloverleafs at Memorial and Waugh with jogging a recovery from one cloverleaf to the next and walking across the Waugh bridge when we had to cross Memorial. Sean said that each full lap of all 4 hills was 1 mile total. I didn't time any of the individual hills since the start and finish points on each hill were different than some of the previous times I'd run on the various hills so I'm not sure that I would really have anything valid to compare it to. I completed 4 miles with 16 total hills in 30 minutes. I felt like I was flying and really felt strong on the workout. My total lap time improved on each mile so I was picking up the pace throughout the workout. Other than it being a tough workout and my legs burning on the last few hills, I didn't have any problems with sore calves or hamstrings or any lingering effects from feeling like I might have tweaked my groin a little on Saturday's run. After the workout I did a 2.5 mile cooldown for a total of 9 miles today.

I think this is the best shape I've been in at this time of year over the past few years. Hopefully that will translate into some PR's in the fall races starting in a couple of months.

No comments:

Post a Comment