Thursday, March 26, 2009

Interval Workout

I took Wednesday off partly because of bad weather and partly because I wanted a day off this week before I do my last 24 miler this weekend. I pushed my speed workout back until Thursday evening. The workout was 6 x 1 mile with 1 minute rest. Because of bad weather again, I did the workout on a treadmill. I did a 3 mile warmup in 21:30 and then started the workout. I set the treadmill at a 0.5% incline to compensate for no wind resistance. I waited until the treadmill got up to full speed before starting my watch for the mile interval. At the end, I slowed it down to walking pace for about 45 seconds and then started ramping it up to full speed so that I was at full speed and starting the next interval after 1:00 - 1:05 after finishing the last one. My splits were 5:41, 5:39, 5:36. 5:34, 5:30, 5:19. I probably could have run the first few a little faster, but I like to negative split my workouts and I didn't know how trying to start in the mid-5:30's would feel or how my hamstring would hold up. My hamstring felt pretty good throughout the workout. I could definitely feel it a little bit during the last few, but the amount of discomfort was noticeably less than what I felt during hard workouts over the last few weeks. Discomfort might be a little too strong a term to describe it because it was more like I noticed it felt a little tight or weak. It really didn't bother me that much and it didn't feel as tight when I was stretching it afterwards as I have noticed in the past weeks. I probably won't be doing my long run up in Conroe this weekend. I've been a little tired and I'm not real excited about getting up by 4:30. My hamstring has been feeling a lot better this week, but I think running here in Houston may be a little easier on it and then I can do a tough hill workout on Monday. It's hard to believe that it's only 3-1/2 weeks left until Boston.

No comments:

Post a Comment