Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Tuesday - 6 miles

Tuesday's run was a tough workout and I ended up throwing in the towel early. I ran 6 miles in 44:30. Before the run, I was considering doing my hard workout for the week - an 11 mile progressive run-that day since I was going to be hard pressed for time on Wednesday. I also figured if I did the hard workout Tuesday, I would be fresh enough to try running a 5k race on Saturday.

After the first mile, it was clear that I wasn't going to be doing a progressive run that was any good. My legs still felt heavy and tired an my first mile was at about 7:40 pace and I wasn't really feeling like I could really start picking up the pace. At that point I decided just to do a 9 mile run and then try to squeeze in the hard workout at lunch on Wednesday and cut it back to a 10 mile progressive run.

The whole run on Tuesday I was was just really struggling with motivation. I don't particularly enjoy logging lots of miles, especially by myself and when I'm running slow. I had picked the pace up to about 7:20 pace after the first lap at the park, but my legs were sore and I had no motivation. I think I mildly strained my quad when I was lifting on Monday - nothing serious, but it was still kind of tender. One of those things that you need 2 or 3 days to recover from and then it will be fine. It was starting to get a little dark out and after about 6 miles I decided that I had enough for the day and I didn't see the benefit of doing another lap. I hate logging what I consider junk miles. In my perfect world, I would run 6 - 8 miles quick for every recovery run, but of course I can't really recover effectively when I am going slow.

No comments:

Post a Comment