Sunday, July 26, 2009

Sunday - 1 mile

I did one mile in a little under 7 minutes - I ran about 4:00 easy and then 2:45 hard. I headed out the door a little after 6:30 to do a 9.5 mile loop up memorial to chimney rock, over to woodway and then back home. I had checked the radar and there were some isolated storms, but it looked like they weren't going to hit my route so I figured it would be ok. I got outside and saw a few dark clouds a little north of us, but the sky didn't look too bad to the west. I got over to the park and was running through a parking lot and saw a flash of lightning that wasn't too far off. It was to the northeast of me and I was going west so I figured I'd be ok and kept going. About a minute later, I see another bright flash and hear the thunder crack a split second after it - way too close for comfort. I decided it was probably a stupid idea to keep going and I decide to high tail it 1/2 a mile back home. On the way there is another relatively close lightning strike and I'm less than a 1/4 mile away so I pretty much ran all out the last 1/4. The lightning always strikes the slowest runner first, right? Kind of like the lion only has to run faster than the slowest gazelle. After I made it back to the safety of my home we had quite a few more lightning strikes in the area and it started raining. I don't mind running in the rain, but lightning is a completely different story.

I had a 20% off coupon for Luke's Locker and I was going to go pick up a new pair of the nike skylon's to replace my worn out ones, but I didn't have time to make it over there on Saturday. Sunday afternoon I started looking for the coupon and I couldn't find it so I checked the pockets of the shorts that I had been wearing on Saturday and found it there. Unfortunately the shorts had been through the washer and dryer and my coupon was now a small yellow paper ball. I figured they would laugh at me if I tried to tell them it was a 20% off coupon so I'll just wait a week until the fall Kenyan Way orientation.

No comments:

Post a Comment