Friday, July 31, 2009

Progressive Run - 8 miles total

I hate Houston summer weather. When I opened my front door it felt like I was walking into the blazing heat of the sun and it took me a second to catch my breath in the oppressive humidity. After the workout I checked the weather and it was 81 degrees and 92% humidity when I started a few minutes before 6:00 and it was 82 and 88% humidity with a heat index of 91 near the end of the workout. I ran 3/4 of a mile to the tennis center and met up with Bill, Ray, Mike and Sean. The plan was to run a progressive run starting at 7:00 pace and drop 15 seconds per mile and my goal was to hang through at least 7 miles. I was feeling decent with 2 miles to go and thought I was going to make my goal, but I fell a little off pace near the end of mile 6 and I dropped out at about 6.25 miles. My mile splits were 6:55, 6:34, 6:26, 6:08, 5:55, 5:49. It's a little disappointing I couldn't pick it up more that last mile, but the weather conditions were some of the worst I've run in. Hopefully the next time I do a long progressive run I'll be able to keep the pace through 7 miles. 1 mile cooldown after the workout.

No comments:

Post a Comment